Pull out your wooden stakes and garlic, it’s time to protect yourself from the Energy Vampires. And not just because it is Halloween. These are people who bring you down, who can magically suck the life force from your soul while you sip your latte. They are never satisfied, never positive and NEVER stop complaining. They leave you tired, weary and not happy. Do you know someone like this? Even worse, are you someone like this?
- Are unrelentingly negative. Their negative energy appears continuous. THESE PEOPLE SUCK ME DRY.
- It’s all about me. These are the folks that think of no one but themselves. Reading this, they would have no idea this was about them. Cue Carly Simon’s “Your So Vain.”
- Make mountains out of molehills. These Drama Queens can turn a broken nail into a Shakespearean tragedy. REALLY? It’s can’t be that bad, can it?
- Complain constantly about their partners, jobs, children, bad luck, the weather, EVERYTHING. Nothing is EVER good enough. SHUT UP. PLEASE!
- Debbie Downers. They render a room dark in minutes. Half empty folks.
- Not me! Blame everyone else for their problems. It is NEVER their fault.
The one that makes me the most crazy is that ‘Woe is Me’ Vampire. They are always the victim and the world is always against them. They can recount every horrible event since they were four. The next one I come face to face with, I plan on sucker punching them and telling them, “GET OVER YOUR SHIT AND MOVE ON. YOU HAVE ONE LIFE. LIVE IT.“
Tell them. Kill them with kindness. Laugh. Create boundaries. But for the most crazy of the Energy Vampires, you may have to disconnect from them altogether if possible. Life is too important to be around villans such as this. Surround yourself with happy, shiny people like yourself. Maybe the blinding light will melt those life force suckers.
As you think of the Energy Vampires in your life, what will your silver bullet be?