A daily routine is key to a successful school year. Add these quick MOVE practices to your Original G·E·M·S Life for a focused, fabulous fall term!
START. COMMIT. GROW. JUMP INTO ORIGINAL G·E·M·S LIFE!
Ready for more focus, less anxiety and improved energy? Set aside a few minutes every day to move your body for a world of difference to your physical AND mental health.
It’s a scientific fact that regular exercise is linked to improved mood and reduced anxiety and depression. So do right by your body and your brain by adding in our third Original G·E·M·S Life category, MOVE, to your morning routine, and get ready to take on this school year by storm!
You don’t have to hit the gym after dropping the kids off at school — commiting to MOVE your body everyday is a lot easier than you think! One of the biggest mistakes we make when setting activity goals is trying to “get fit” by overcommitting to an exercise “program.” In other words: We shoot the moon, when really we just need to walk around the block. Some things to keep in mind:
- Any movement is a good movement! It doesn’t have to be a heart-pounding sweaty gym sesh to improve your fitness.
- Those little minutes of movement add up! A little bit here and there, when you can, can add up to a full work out!
- Consistency matters more than intensity. You can burn a lot of calories walking — and a lot more than running if it’s just too hard or you don’t like it.
- If you don’t like it, if it’s too hard, if it hurts, you won’t keep doing it. Movement should be fun, not painful.
To help get you started, try our top practices to help you ace GEM class this school year.
5 MOVE Practices for a Smarty Pants Semester
- After School Dance Party! Shake away those back to school blues by throwing on some throwback jams to groove to! Try this ultimate dance party workout with Meagan Kong for some seriously good vibes. A dance a day keeps the doctor away, right?
- Sneak In Mini-Moves: You don’t have to make it to class or the gym every day. Try taking the stairs instead of the elevator. Or take a quick walk around the block in between Zoom calls. Either way, take a few minutes to stretch your legs during the day. Those minutes add up!
- Try a TikTok Trend! There are sooo many to keep up with, but a few TikTok trends we’ve loved lately are the #FlexibilityChallenge videos, the #Trackstars “runaway” challenge, and whatever #DanceTikTok’s viral dance of the week is! Get your family involved and try out these video challenges for your daily MOVE practice!
- Find a “move” buddy. Having someone to keep us accountable helps us stay committed to daily move goals. Call up a friend you’ve been meaning to catch up with and try different classes with them for a month, or sign up for a weekly AM sculpt class at Ritual One Yoga on Knox with a friend (plus, get your daily GEM fix at our pop-up location here!).
- Get a Personal Trainer. Can’t find time to make it to a class? Hire a personal trainer to come to your home instead—they can even give you light exercises or stretching work to do so you can check off your MOVE practice every day of the week.
Prioritizing your health is the BEST way to curb anxiety and stress that a new school year brings. Follow these Original G·E·M·S Life MOVE practices to help you and your family stay healthy this fall. And remember; it takes 21 days to form a habit, so don’t wait—jump in today!
Live an Original G·E·M·S Life
Commit to Shine Brighter in all areas of your life with our daily playbook formed around The GEM’s founding principles. Jump on our disco train and commit daily to just one practice in each of the categories, Gratitude, Eat Clean, Move, Shine. Add in more practices and grow with the program when you’re ready, and create your very own Original G·E·M·S Life!