“You is kind, you is SMART, you is important.” Say it with us now. Back to school time is upon us, and to celebrate we’re sharing our top Original G·E·M·S Life tips for you to have a Smarty Pants Semester—and this week is all about how to Eat Clean to boost brain power. Check out our brain-boosting daily practices and commit to Eat Clean this school year!
START NOW. SHINE BRIGHTER. JUMP INTO ORIGINAL G·E·M·S LIFE!
As we said in Part I of our Smarty Pants Semester series, lifestyle has a HUGE impact on our brain and mental health. Each of us has the opportunity to do something good for our brain (and, in turn, our body), multiple times a day.
When it comes to eating, start smart each day with these tried-and-true Eat Clean practices that keep your mind and body at peak performance!
5 Brain Boosting Foods for Back to School
- BLUEBERRIES. These babies are PACKED with antioxidants proven to help delay brain aging and improve memory. Stick some in the freezer with a scoop of peanut butter for a delish after-school snack, or add them to your morning smoothie for a one-two punch of brain power!
- TURMERIC. We’ve talked a LOT about the benefits of this anti-inflammatory super spice—but turmeric also has the power to improve memory, boost serotonin and dopamine levels, and help us grow new brain cells. Our Turmeric Latte is a favorite back to school accessory for this reason. So is the Iced Immunity Green Tea.
- NUTS. Brain healthy fats and protein abound with walnuts, cashews, pecans, Brazil Nuts, mulberries and more. Snag a bag or two of our GEM Remix or Dance Mix to get your daily dose of nuts—super filling and packs a punch. Got nuts?
- MAGIC MUSHROOM. Our Adaptogenic Powder contains Lion’s Mane, which boosts brain clarity and memory. Add to any of our coffee drinks or in our Crown Jewel smoothie!
- GREEN TEA. In addition to fighting cancer, aiding in digestion, and improving cardiovascular health, studies have shown that drinking green tea daily can enhance memory and other cognitive functions. Green tea directly benefits the part of our brain associated with learning, memory processes, and decision making. Choose wisely and GO GREEN!
- LEAFY GREENS. You know the ones—kale, spinach, Bok Choy, collard greens, etc. all have the power to slow cognitive decline. Stay sharp by packing in extra greens at every meal with these simple tips:
- Add to smoothies. Spinach and kale are our favorite additions. Make at home with your favorite organic ingredients, or order to-go from The GEM!
- Stir into soup. De-stem and cut a few kale leaves before adding them to soups in the last 10 minutes of cooking.
- Bake kale chips. Chop and toss with a little olive oil and salt, then bake at 350 for 10 minutes.
- Juice ‘em. Our Green Glow juice is the perfect starter kit to get your daily green fix (all hail the KALE!). Order now!
By adding just ONE of these brain-boosting foods daily, check off your EAT CLEAN practice while getting the nutrients you need to learn and Shine Brighter in the classroom this semester! And stock up with these foods to send your little GEMs off with fuel for the school day and beyond.
Keep an eye out for more Original G·E·M·S Life practices for a Smarty Pants Semester, coming soon!