Our desire for warmer, more grounding, fall food starts to increase now that cooler weather is upon us. Your body craves the comfort of roasted veggies, rich stews and robust soups.
Inside The GEM, folks start to line up for our famous Lentil Soup, Sauteed Arugula and Mushroom Salad and Turmeric Lattes. SHAZAM! Those things are good and they give your insides a warm hug.
While you are ALWAYS welcome at our door for your daily dose of fall food goodness, we think you should branch out and try some new things at home. This Black Bean Chili was inspired by Pamela Salzman’s Turkey Chili recipe (also amazing). Look for her new cookbook coming next year!
In the meantime, try this on a lazy Sunday afternoon or at your next tailgate party. You won’t even miss the meat!
BLACK BEAN CHILI – A Fall Food Fav
4 tablespoons olive oil
2 cups chopped red onion
2 cups chopped celery
2 cups chopped carrots
1 poblano pepper chopped
1 jalapeno, seeded and finely diced (optional)
2 cloves garlic, minced
¼ cup organic masa harina
2 tablespoon ground cumin
2 tablespoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon dried oregano
¼ teaspoon cayenne (optional)
2 teaspoons sea salt (or more to taste)
freshly ground black pepper to taste
6 cups veggie stock, divided — OR WATER, just adjust salt content!!
3 cups frozen organic sweet corn
3 15-ounce ounce cans cooked black beans (drained and rinsed)
- Heat oil to a large pot. Add the onion, pepper, celery, carrots, peppers and garlic to the pot and sauté until tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add the masa harina, spices, salt and pepper to the pot and cook, stirring frequently for 5 minutes.
- Add 5 cups stock, 1 1/2 cup corn and the beans to the pot. Take the remaining 1½ cups of corn and puree with the remaining ½ cup stock/water in a Vitamix.
- Add the pureed corn to the pot. Mix well and bring to boil over medium-high heat. Lower the heat to a simmer and cook, partially covered for 30 minutes.
- Top with condiments like chopped onion, cilantro, avocado and Bearitos corn chips.
Enjoy! And, remember, you are welcome at our door for your daily dose of happy and healthy.