Holy guacamole, The GEM is turning 10 YEARS YOUNG!!! We can hardly believe it’s been a decade since opening our doors as the first organic juice bar in Dallas. What started as a simple idea between two disco soul sisters back in 2012 has blossomed into something more lovely and powerful than we ever could have imagined. And it’s taught us that no matter whether in life, love, disco or business, passion is always worth pursuing.
CELEBRATE #TheGEMTurns10 WITH A FREE IMMUNITY SHOT ON FEBRUARY 11TH!
From a terrifying breast cancer diagnosis to hosting our first-ever popup, and to opening our second location, the journey to provide the best-of-the-best spirit, energy and juice to our glowing GEMs has been, in a word, supercalifragilisticexpialidocious.
We knew next to nothing about the restaurant business when we opened up shop ten years ago, but that didn’t hold us back. We dug in deep—learning, growing, and dancing along the way (and, of course, leaning on this wonderful community of ours).
Read on for the top ten lessons we’ve learned on our GEMbarkment a decade later:
10 Lessons Learned After A Decade of #ShiningBright
- Dallas loves green juice. We have seen our GEM community grow into the most incredibly committed and conscientious health-seekers anywhere around.
- Our Top 10 Health Rules are still the way to go. Nothing has changed. It still is all about a whole food, plant-based diet. (And if you don’t know, now you know.)
- Focus attention on your own passions, do it with determination and grit, and things fall into place. Stay true to your values—and don’t be swayed by a new “opportunity” that strays from your mission.(Check out Our Creed to see what we’re all about!)
- Treat your customers (and staff!) with respect and kindness, and they will stick around for the long term. Some of you have been with us since day ONE! We have incredible staff that have been with us for many years (like, almost 10!). We love them, and we love YOU!
- Disco balls and groovy music make for a fun workplace. We’re more than just healthy food and organic juices. We’ve created a place where positive energy flows freely—and we like to think it’s why we have the very best staff in town (and we know you agree!).
- Delicious smoothies don’t have to be loaded with added sugar, dairy or creepy additives. Our intention is to make the most delicious food and juice without compromising any health benefits.
- If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. Especially when it comes to new health products, supplements, diets and fads promising to (insert desired outcome here). Always stick to what you know actually works: a whole food, plant-based diet.
- Those struggling with a health crisis can feel confident that they are getting honestly clean, organic healing foods and juices when they visit The GEM. We’ve met so many beautiful humans going through cancer. It has been a humble honor to get to serve you.
- Supportive, positive people make for the BEST co-workers. Daily work is WAY more fun and rewarding with people who intentionally set out to be positive and supportive. We really do have a blast doing what we do, together.
- We are beyond grateful for you, our O.G.s (Original GEMs!), as well as our new followers for your continuous support and outpouring of love. We’re here and open every day for you, and you never fail to show up for us!
As a special “thank you” to all of our loyal GEMs, mark your calendars for Friday, February 11th at both our locations, where we’ll be giving out FREE IMMUNITY SHOTS, complimentary to ALL CUSTOMERS! 🎉